Prior to Syracuse’s 76-70 loss against Marquette, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel did what many other publications do when Syracuse rolls into town — Resort to time-honored clichés using the word “Orange.”
This got me to expressing my frustration with these uninformative article titles on Twitter.
I wasn’t the only one who felt this way.
I’m never one to pass on a good idea. Here are some of those very same clichés I’ve found dealing with SU athletics during my exclusive investigation titled “Clockwork Orange: All of Your Clichés Are Belong to Us.”
I didn’t have to stray too far or too long to find something with the word “peel.” This one is from Feb. 6, 2010 in Syracuse’s 69-60 win over Marquette.
Is there a Pulitzer Prize for hackneyed titles of the year? The Journal Sentinel should be in the running for one if there is.
But let’s move to a more national paper.
Get it? Because, if you crush Oranges, you can make Orange juice! Speaking of which:
To borrow another cliché, this one has to take the cake. Look how much it has going for itself. It’s got the history, being created from before a time that I even existed. It’s got the whole “Syracuse is good but not quite elite” theme going for it.
But obviously, it’s got “Juice” and “Squeeze” in one neat package. Sports Illustrated has always been the hallmark of sports journalism. Well done, SI. Well done.
At this point, you’re probably wondering now how I was able to get through this difficult and strenuous article. Well, let me tell you exactly how I did it.
I really wanted to write a column that swung for the fences. I didn’t want to make any rookie mistakes. Plus, I knew this was a must-win column. So, I took each search one search at a time. I gave each search 110 percent. And in the end, I left it all out on the field.
Orange you glad I’m done? OK, that was a little unnecessary.
That’s all for this week, folks. See you at the same time, same place next week.
Editor in Chief
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017