Prior to Syracuse’s 76-70 loss against Marquette, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel did what many other publications do when Syracuse rolls into town — Resort to time-honored clichés using the word “Orange.”
This got me to expressing my frustration with these uninformative article titles on Twitter.
I wasn’t the only one who felt this way.
I’m never one to pass on a good idea. Here are some of those very same clichés I’ve found dealing with SU athletics during my exclusive investigation titled “Clockwork Orange: All of Your Clichés Are Belong to Us.”
I didn’t have to stray too far or too long to find something with the word “peel.” This one is from Feb. 6, 2010 in Syracuse’s 69-60 win over Marquette.
Is there a Pulitzer Prize for hackneyed titles of the year? The Journal Sentinel should be in the running for one if there is.
But let’s move to a more national paper.
Get it? Because, if you crush Oranges, you can make Orange juice! Speaking of which:
To borrow another cliché, this one has to take the cake. Look how much it has going for itself. It’s got the history, being created from before a time that I even existed. It’s got the whole “Syracuse is good but not quite elite” theme going for it.
But obviously, it’s got “Juice” and “Squeeze” in one neat package. Sports Illustrated has always been the hallmark of sports journalism. Well done, SI. Well done.
At this point, you’re probably wondering now how I was able to get through this difficult and strenuous article. Well, let me tell you exactly how I did it.
I really wanted to write a column that swung for the fences. I didn’t want to make any rookie mistakes. Plus, I knew this was a must-win column. So, I took each search one search at a time. I gave each search 110 percent. And in the end, I left it all out on the field.
Orange you glad I’m done? OK, that was a little unnecessary.
That’s all for this week, folks. See you at the same time, same place next week.
Editor in Chief
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016