Is this deja-vu?
One year ago, Villanova took a trip up to Syracuse to play in front under the bright lights of ESPN’s “College Gameday” Game of the Week.
The team got crushed. It came in the midst of a 6-7 tailspin for ‘Nova that eventually ended in a second round loss to St. Mary’s of California.
Anytime you have to denote which state a school is from, it was probably a bad loss.
The test against Syracuse, when both teams were ranked in the top 10, was disappointing on several fronts. Through January of last year, ‘Nova was a legitimate Final Four contender, having been ranked as high as No. 2 in the country and receiving several votes for the top spot. But by the time the game rolled around, ‘Nova had a pedestrian 3-3 record over its previous six games and the matchup would serve as a good measuring stick to see if the struggles were just a blip on the radar, or something more.
It was something more.
Not only did the Wildcats lose, but the game was never close, and ‘Nova never bounced back. Shortly thereafter, the ‘Cats would lose in their first Big East tournament game, barely squeak by (in overtime) 15th-seeded Robert Morris in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, and then lose to St. Mary’s (Cali!).
Read the rest of Kyle Scott’s article at Philly Sports Daily: http://phillysportsdaily.com/college/2011/01/21/villanova-syracuse-deja-vu/
- Syracuse v. Clemson Football Predictions - October 13, 2017
- Syracuse v. Pittsburgh Football Predictions - October 6, 2017
- Do moral victories mean anything for Syracuse football? - September 26, 2017
- Syracuse v. LSU Football Predictions - September 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Central Michigan Football Predictions - September 15, 2017
- Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee State Predictions - September 8, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Lacrosse Championship: Syracuse predictions - May 9, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse: 2017 ACC championship predictions - April 27, 2017
- Mixed Juice: Reactions to Syracuse missing 2017 NCAA Tournament - March 13, 2017
- Has Syracuse basketball done enough to make the NCAA Tournament? - March 10, 2017