Syracuse forward Kris Joseph is on a roll.
Over the past two games, Joseph has averaged 26 points per game on a combined 17-for-25 from the field and 5-for-8 shooting from 3-point land. In Syracuse’s Big East opener against Providence, Joseph scored a career-high 27 points to go along with five rebounds and four assists.
“Especially early Kris got going,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “He got some good looks and knocked them down.”
Joseph has set career highs in points in each of the last two games.
“Coming into this game after having a career-high last game, I definitely have the confidence,” Joseph said. “The shots were falling, and that opened up a lot of things for me, going to the basket or what not.”
Joseph has already built the reputation as a slasher and finisher, but this season, the junior has also developed his outside shot. After shooting 26 and 22 percent from distance in his first two seasons, Joseph is shooting 35 percent this year.
Joseph attributes his improved range to assistant coach Rob Murphy, who has had Joseph shooting with a larger basketball of the same weight.
“He’s been making me shoot with a big basketball before and after practice and before games,” Joseph said. “I have to shoot with the big ball before I touch a regular one.”
It is the same method Murphy used with former Syracuse forward Donte Greene, who now plays for the Sacramento Kings. In his only year at SU, Greene set a freshman record with 90 3-pointers.
“He was a pretty good shooter when he was here,” Joseph said. “I want to follow in those footsteps and become a better shooter from beyond the arc.”
So far, it seems to have worked.
“A big ball like that, the only way it goes in is if you swish it,” Joseph said. “You know you have to be really precise and shoot it over and over again.”
Wesley Cheng is the Editor in Chief for The Juice Online.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017