To Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, a streak is a streak, regardless of gender.
Boeheim responded to Geno Auriemma’s outburst about the Connecticut women’s basketball team tying UCLA men’s basketball’s all-time winning streak at 88 games after No. 5 Syracuse’s 97-55 win over Morgan State.
“It has nothing to do with whether it’s women’s basketball or men’s basketball,” Boeheim said. “It’s a great story in basketball.”
Auriemma’s comments came after the No. 1 Huskies rolled past No. 11 Ohio State, 81-50, in the Maggie Dixon Classic at Madison Square Garden.
“I just know there wouldn’t be this many people in the room if we were chasing a woman’s record,” Auriemma said. “The reason everybody is having a heart attack the last four or five days is a bunch of women are threatening to break a men’s record, and everybody is all up in arms about it.”
Boeheim is not among those people.
Instead, the Syracuse coach has been a big fan of Auriemma’s squad.
“It is just epic the way they play every night and the way they beat people,” Boeheim said. “It was seven games 0-10 points out of 88 teams which is unbelievable. […] They have a tough game against Stanford and I knew they have to look out for them when I saw the schedule. If they get by Stanford I don’t think you can stop them this year.”
Wesley Cheng is the Editor in Chief for The Juice Online.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017