No. 8 Syracuse will try to stay undefeated as it travels to Madison Square Garden tonight to face Michigan State on Tuesday night.
The Orange (8-0) is coming off a lackluster 65-59 win against North Carolina State. Syracuse shot just 38 percent from the field and went 2-for-16 from downtown as it continues to struggle offensively.
“We were 2-for-16 from the three and we have to be able to make some shots out there,” head coach Jim Boeheim said. “We have to find a way to make some of those if we are going to be good. You can’t shoot 2-for-16 from the three.”
Fortunately for the Orange, it has played solid defense in its last few contests. Against the Wolfpack, the Orange held North Carolina State scoreless for the final seven minutes of the game.
They face a Michigan State (6-2) team that is coming off a 74-39 trouncing of Bowling Green.
The No. 6 Spartans have had a brutal beginning of the season, facing Connecticut, Washington and Duke in their first eight games. The Orange will be the third ranked team Michigan State has faced in this early season.
“I might be the dumbest scheduler in America,” Michigan State head coach Izzo said following the win over Bowling Green. “My team is tired.”
Syracuse is 9-7 all-time against Michigan State and has won the past three, including a 96-83 victory in the last meeting, Jan. 3, 2004.
“They are a great team, they are a great program,” forward Rick Jackson said. “They are playing two years in a row with the same team so they are a successful team. This is a great chance for us because like I said, we are not going to see teams like this. This is probably the best team we are going to play all year.”
Wesley Cheng is the Editor in Chief for SuJuiceOnline.com.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017