One game after Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim called starting guard Scoop Jardine’s performance “horrible,” Jardine rebounded with a 23 point effort to lead the way in Syracuse’s 65-59 win over the Wolfpack.
Still, it wasn’t quite the performance that Jardine would’ve wanted. Though he led Syracuse in scoring, he also shot 7-for-21 from the field.
“He’s more of a scorer than a point guard right now,” Boeheim said. “He’s got to find people. He’s got to take 6-7 less shots.”
In fairness to Jardine, not all the blame should be placed on his shoulders. Syracuse is suffering from a lack of options on offense right now. Other than Rick Jackson’s 16 points, no other Orange player was in double figures.
Forward Kris Joseph, who had come in scoring more than 18 points a game over his past four contests was non-existant, scoring eight points on 3-for-12 shooting, and 0-for-4 from downtown. Fellow backcourt mate Brandon Triche had another rough game, scoring just five points on 2-for-8 shooting.
That left Jardine to create most of the offense on his own.
“Scoop is taking a couple because he sees we’re not scoring and he is probably trying to force that action a little bit,” Boeheim said.
Still, those were kinder words for Jardine than after his 0-for-5, 0-point performance against Cornell. On the season, Jardine is shooting just 32 percent from the field, and 28 percent from downtown.
Coming into the game, Jardine had connected on just nine of his last 42 shots.
Afterwards, Jardine acknowledged that Syracuse had some improving to do.
“We’re not locating shooters and hitting threes and we need to put two halves together,” Jardine said. “We have to keep playing games and grind them out.”
Wesley Cheng is the Editor in Chief for SuJuiceOnline.com.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017